- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
NHL playoffs: Joel Ward gets Game 5 redemption
Capitals right wing scores power-play goal in victory over Rangers
“Playoff hockey, really, the game slows down a little bit, generally,” Oates said. “You have to be good along the wall. Buildings get hot. Guys are a little bit more sure of their plays. They make safer plays. So the puck goes around the boards more often.
“Joel is a big guy. His skill set fits right into that. Right now our right side is very solid over there with four big guys who can pound it down the boards. It’s a big part of the game.”
Oates moved him from the fourth line to the third for Game 5 as part of the shuffling that resulted from Martin Erat’s apparent left wrist or forearm injury in Game 4. Mathieu Perreault, Chimera and Ward played about 17 minutes and combined for seven shots.
“This is how you get through in the playoffs,” Perreault said. “It’s through your whole lineup.”
Ward kept that in mind as he worked back from a bruised left knee that kept him out of the final nine games of the regular season. This is his time.
“Everyone’s goal as a kid is to raise the Stanley Cup,” Ward said. “It’s playoff time. That’s the best part about hockey.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow