- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
NHL playoffs: Joel Ward gets Game 5 redemption
Capitals right wing scores power-play goal in victory over Rangers
“Playoff hockey, really, the game slows down a little bit, generally,” Oates said. “You have to be good along the wall. Buildings get hot. Guys are a little bit more sure of their plays. They make safer plays. So the puck goes around the boards more often.
“Joel is a big guy. His skill set fits right into that. Right now our right side is very solid over there with four big guys who can pound it down the boards. It’s a big part of the game.”
Oates moved him from the fourth line to the third for Game 5 as part of the shuffling that resulted from Martin Erat’s apparent left wrist or forearm injury in Game 4. Mathieu Perreault, Chimera and Ward played about 17 minutes and combined for seven shots.
“This is how you get through in the playoffs,” Perreault said. “It’s through your whole lineup.”
Ward kept that in mind as he worked back from a bruised left knee that kept him out of the final nine games of the regular season. This is his time.
“Everyone’s goal as a kid is to raise the Stanley Cup,” Ward said. “It’s playoff time. That’s the best part about hockey.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.