- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
Earnhardt cooking a brisket for Mother’s Day
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Armed with a new cookbook, NASCAR's most popular driver had big plans for Mother's Day.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been trying to learn how to make barbecue and figured his mother, Brenda Jackson, would be a good judge of how far he's come. So he planned to spend Mother's Day cooking a brisket with her by following a recipe from "Smokin' with Myron Mixon."
"We're going to cook a brisket together," he said recently. "I bought Myron Mixon's book, that guy from the show, `BBQ Pitmasters', and I'm trying to learn how to barbecue. So we're going to cook us a brisket and see how that goes. That's going to be Mother's Day for me."
Earnhardt is able to spend time with family because many members live on his large property in Kannapolis. His mother lives just 100 yards away, and it's afforded him the opportunity to spend time with Jackson doing the mundane daily activities like a recent lunch outing.
"I like sushi a lot, and I just got her to where she'll eat some of that," Earnhardt said. "So we went and took her to lunch and got a haircut. Just typical, normal stuff."
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.