- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
- California church handing out ‘travel cash’ to illegals heading east
- PHILLIPS: Liberal lawyers ensuring illegal aliens are never deported
- Chris Christie leading N.H. GOP presidential field; Mitt Romney lingers large
- NYC creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Florida judge slaps GOP’s redistricting plans: You ‘made a mockery’ of process
- Muslims give Obama high marks over first half of 2014
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men
SIMMONS: ‘Back-alley’ abortions an issue of responsibility
Question of the Day
All right, ladies. Do not get your thongs, boxers or briefs all twisted.
Don’t think “back-alley” abortions are no more because of Roe v. Wade.
This is a discussion that should have occurred decades before FBI agents discovered in February 2010 that a clinic in Philadelphia run by Dr. Kermit Gosnell was performing “high-volume, high-profit” illegal late-term abortions that “almost guarantee a live birth.”
In other words, “back-alley”-like abortions that endangered the lives of mother and child.
Turns out the Gosnell clinic was a “house of horrors” largely because neither the Pennsylvania Department of State, which is charged with regulating doctors and the medical field, nor the Pennsylvania Department of Health, charged with regulating healthcare facilities, had visited the clinic in 15 years.
Now is the time to flip the script, acknowledge the fact that “back-alley” abortions are performed in clinics and doctors’ offices and tighten the screws on them and the local and state governments that sanction them.
Abortion isn’t a women’s issue. It’s a public health and government-accountability issue.
We don’t look at justice, education, freedom and liberty, military and defense, welfare, employment, agriculture, commerce, economics or diplomacy as a “black thing.”
And let’s hope it’s not turned into a partisan thing, either, because a pro-choice former Republican governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Ridge, is as responsible for that Philadelphia “house of horrors” as is a Democratic one, Ed Rendell.
The Ridge administration stopped routine annual inspections of abortion clinics, according to the Gosnell grand jury, which reported that the health department’s “policy during Governor Ridge’s administration was motivated by a desire not to be ‘putting a barrier up to women’ seeking abortions.”
For its part, the Rendell administration buttressed the firewall.
In fact, federal authorities began probing Dr. Gosnell’s clinic during Mr. Rendell’s tenure amid allegations of drug crimes. By the time Mr. Rendell left office, the horrifying details were indefensible.
Of course, Mr. Rendell has tried on more than one occasion to explain his administration’s inaction. Suffice it to say, however, that as a district attorney of Philadelphia for eight years and two-time mayor of Philadelphia before becoming a two-term governor, if Mr. Rendell wasn’t aware of the gruesome goings-on at the clinic, it’s because he made it clear that abortion clinics were untouchable.
The issue now isn’t black abortions or how many “inner-city” clinics and doctors are performing abortions. The issue is how many doctors and so-called clinics are performing “back-alley” abortions.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: Political rebranding, new and shiny
- SIMMONS: Immigration border crossings are a setup
- SIMMONS: A hearty Happy Birthday, D.C.-style!
- SIMMONS: Lame duck D.C. mayor quacks up
- SIMMONS: Washington's witty 'Ear'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- BRUCE: The feds plot to steal your paycheck
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs