- The Washington Times - Monday, May 13, 2013

The International Committee of the Red Cross said three of its workers were kidnapped Monday in Yemen.

ICRC spokesman Dibeh Fakhr said two international staff members and one local hire were taken from the southern province of Abyan, near Jaar, the Associated Press reported.

The three are alive and “hopefully unharmed,” the spokesman said. Red Cross believes the kidnappers might be the same one involved in another kidnapping case last week.

Officials are trying to negotiate their release now, Ms. Fakhr said, according to AP.


Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi said al Qaeda has been expanding in the nation.