The Cleveland man who held three women captive for a decade is a “monster,” his two brothers told CNN in an interview that aired Monday morning.
“I don’t know how my brother got away with it for so many years,” Pedro Castro, 54, said.
Those acts were uncovered by authorities last week. Three women — Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus — were discovered as prisoners inside Ariel Castro’s house, where they were subjected to frequent sexual abuse and were allowed outside into daylight only twice, police said.
But authorities later said that the Pedro and Onil Castro wouldn’t be charged, citing a lack of evidence that the two knew anything about what their brother was doing.
They told CNN they Ariel Castro kept them out of certain sections of his house every time they’d visit.
“I didn’t go to his house very much, but when I did, he would let me in not past the kitchen,” Pedro Castro said. “The reason why we would go in the kitchen, because he had alcohol. And he would take me in the kitchen, give me a shot.”
Ariel Castro has been charged with multiple counts of rape and kidnapping as more disturbing details surrounding the ordeal leak out every day.
They also said that Ariel Castro kept the radio or TV playing all the time, presumably so the brothers wouldn’t hear the captives scream.