Make no mistake. Republicans and conservatives are fierce indeed over the Benghazi attacks, and the murky Obama administration response to the violent events. A Public Policy Polling survey released Monday finds that 55 percent of very conservative respondents and 41 percent of Republicans say that Benghazi is “the worst political scandal of all time.” Less than a quarter — 23 percent — of Americans agree with this assessment.
Meanwhile, 9 of 10 of those conservatives and 74 percent of the Republicans say Benghazi is “worse than Watergate.” Forty five percent of Americans overall agree.
“The first-degree murder conviction of Kermit Gosnell brings some closure to this horrific case, but we must act to address the broader problems highlighted by this tragedy. Congress should conduct a thorough investigation into the practices of late-term abortions in America with the goal of ensuring that these atrocities are never repeated in the future,” says Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida Republican, following the first-degree murder conviction Monday of Kermit Gosnell in Philadelphia.
POLL DU JOUR
• 40 percent of Americans say the Obama administration has been dishonest about the Benghazi investigation; 70 percent of Republicans, 16 percent of Democrats and 79 percent of regular Republican-leaning Fox News viewers agree.
• 29 percent overall say the administration has been honest; 15 percent of Republicans, 62 percent of Democrats and 9 percent of Republican-leaning Fox News viewers agree.
• 34 percent overall say there has been “too little” coverage of the Benghazi hearings; 51 percent of Republicans, 26 percent of Democrats and 59 percent of Fox News Republicans agree.
• 34 percent overall say Republicans handled the hearings “appropriately”; 65 percent of Republicans, 15 percent of Democrats and 73 percent of Fox News Republicans agree.
Source: A Pew Research survey of 1,000 U.S. adults conducted May 9 to 12.
• Complaints, grudging applause to jharperwashingtontimes.com.