- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
NATO: 3 troops killed in Afghanistan attack
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A truck bombing Monday killed three coalition service members in southern Afghanistan, NATO said in a statement. A local official said the attack targeted a base operated by troops from the country of Georgia.
Omer Zawak, spokesman for the governor of the southern Helmand province, said the truck bomb exploded at the entrance to the Georgian outpost in the Musa Qala district of the province, one of the most volatile regions of Afghanistan.
The deaths brought the number of soldiers from Georgia, a former Soviet republic, killed in Afghanistan to 22. Georgia has about 1,600 troops in Afghanistan, the largest non-NATO contingent there. Georgian soldiers are under NATO’s command.
Also in southern Afghanistan on Monday, a roadside bomb ripped through a bus, killing 10 civilians, most of them women and children, officials said.
Gen. Abdul Raziq, Kandahar province’s police chief, said the blast wounded another 12 people in Maroof district, roughly 36 miles northeast of Kandahar city.
Insurgents plant land mines and roadside bombs in the south and the east of the country to target Afghan and international troops, but civilians often are killed or injured as a result.
A Taliban spokesman said Monday that the four remaining Turkish nationals among a group of 11 people abducted last month by the militant group would be released soon.
An email statement from Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahed said the earlier release of another four Turks was intended as a “good-will gesture” and the remaining four Turks still in their possession also would be freed shortly.
He did not make any reference to the Afghan translator and two pilots — one from Russia and one from Kyrgyzstan — who were captured along with the eight Turks when bad weather forced their helicopter to make an emergency landing in of eastern Afghanistan’s Logar province, a Taliban stronghold, on April 21.
On Sunday, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu News Agency said the freed Turks were taken to the Turkish Embassy in Kabul.
• Associated Press writer Mirwais Khan in Kandahar contributed to this article.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Border Patrol policy still permits agents to shoot at rock-throwers
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again