Three American soldiers were killed Tuesday when a roadside bomb exploded in the Kandahar province of Afghanistan.
The soldiers were patrolling the Zhari district in a vehicle as part of a NATO convoy when the bomb detonated, said provincial spokesman Jawid Ahmad Faisal, according to Reuters.
It was initially reported that four soldiers were killed, but a NATO spokesman later told the Associated Press the death toll had been revised to 3. Additional information, including the identity of the soldiers, was not immediately available.
The fatalities come just a day after three Georgian soldiers were killed by a bomb in nearby Helmand district.
The NATO-led military mission is due to wrap and almost all combat troops are scheduled to withdraw before the end of next year. President Obama is expected to announce how many U.S. combat troops will stay in Afghanistan beyond the withdrawal date to help with security, Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.