- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Boats of Muslims fleeing cyclone capsize off Myanmar; dozens killed
Question of the Day
Dozens of Rohingya Muslims attempting to flee a cyclone were killed when the boats in which they were sailing capsized off western Myanmar.
More than 100 were on board the boats. By U.N. estimates, only 42 survived, The Associated Press reported.
Eight bodies have been found and recovered, the U.N.’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported on Tuesday.
The Rohingya Muslims had been living in camps in Myanmar after fleeing from violence and sectarian violence last year, AP said. They took to the boats after alerts of Cyclone Mahasen.
The U.N.’s James Munn said one boat was towing several others. The lead boat then hit a rock and capsized, turning the others upside down as well, AP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Couple, 3 kids among 7 killed in Massachusetts apartment fire
- Californian who sold secret to China sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Angry mom to Obama: Feds let illegal immigrant stay and 'KILL my son!'
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Emeryville, Calif., police chief: Guns aren't for defense
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs