- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Reid on AP scandal at Justice Dept.: ‘Inexcusable’
In the wake of revelations that the Justice Department secretly subpoenaed phone records of Associated Press reporters and editors last year, leaders in the House and Senate are beginning to weigh in, among them Sen. Harry Reid.
"I have trouble defending what the Justice Department did," the Nevada Democrat said Tuesday during his weekly press conference, according to Talking Points Memo. "I don't know who did it or why it was done but it's inexcusable. … All I know is it's wrong."
David Schultz, a lawyer for AP, told NPR that "a very large" number of records — including reporters' home and cell phone numbers — were obtained from Hartford, New York, Washington, the U.S. House of Representatives and other locations where AP has bureaus.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- FBI's facial-recognition database projected to have 52M images by 2015: report
- Graffiti drones are here: Creator dreams of 'sending my drones out my bedroom window'
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.