- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
SANDS: Kamsky tops Ramirez in playoff for U.S. chess title
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 d5 4. Nf3 dxc4 5. Bg2 Nc6 6. O-O Rb8 7. Nc3 a6 8. e4 Be7 9. Qe2 b5 10. Rd1 Nb4 11. b3 cxb3 12. d5 exd5 13. e5 O-O 14. a3 Nc6 15. exf6 Bxf6 16. Bb2 Re8 17. Qd2 d4 18. Ne2 Bg4 19. Qd3 Ne5 20. Nxe5 Rxe5 21. Be4 Bxe2 22. Qxe2 c5 23. a4 Qb6 24. axb5 axb5 25. Qd3 c4 26. Bxh7+ Kh8 27. Qb1 Re2 28. Qf5 Rxb2 29. Qh5 Bg5 30. Be4+ Bh6 31. Qf5 g6 32. Qxf7 Bg7 33. Qf4 Rd8 34. Qh4+ Kg8 35. Bxg6 Qf6 36. Qh7+ Kf8 37. Rf1 d3 38. Ra7 d2 39. Rf7+ Qxf7 40. Bxf7 Kxf7 41. Qh5+ Kg8 42. Qg4 Ra2 43. Qe6+ Kf8 44. Qf5+ Ke7 45. Qc5+ Rd6 46. Qc7+ Rd7 47. Qc5+ Ke6 48. Qc6+ Rd6 49. Qe4+ Kf7 50. Qb7+ Ke6 51. Qe4+ Be5 52. Rd1 c3 53. f4 Rd5 54. Qg6+ Bf6 55. Qg8+ Kd6 56. Qf8+ Kc7 57. Qf7+ Rd7 58. Qxf6 c2 59. Qe5+ Rd6 60. Qe7+ Kc6 61. Qe8+ Kc5 62. Qe5+ Kc4 63. Qe4+ Rd4 64. Qe6+ Kc5 65. Qe5+ Rd5 66. Qe7+ Kb6 White resigns.
Anand-Topalov, Norway Supreme Masters, Sandnes, Norway, May 2013
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 e5 7. Nb3 Be6 8. f3 Be7 9. Qd2 O-O 10. O-O-O Nbd7 11. g4 b5 12. Rg1 Nb6 13. Na5 Rc8 14. g5 Nh5 15. Kb1 Nf4 16. a3 g6 17. h4 Qc7 18. Bxf4 exf4 19. Nd5 Bxd5 20. exd5 Nxd5 21. Qxd5 Qxa5 22. Rg4 Rc5 23. Qb3 d5 24. Rxf4 Qc7 25. Rfd4 Qh2 26. c3 Rd8 27. Qc2 Qg3 28. f4 Bd6 29. Bg2 Bxf4 30. Bxd5 Kg7 31. Qe4 Qe3 32. Qh1 Rd7 33. R1d3 Qe5 34. Qf3 Bh2 35. Be6 Re7 36. Re4 Rxe6 37. Rxe5 Rcxe5 38. Rd8 Re4 39. Ka2 Bf4 40. Rd7 Kg8 41. Ra7 Black resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: High-powered Webster claims second straight college chess crown
- SANDS: Rematch point: Chess champions, challengers often meet again
- SANDS: Steady Anand earns rematch with Carlsen for world chess title
- Anand earns rematch against Carlsen for chess title
- SANDS: Anand in command as candidates tourney nears chess finale
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes 'your paycheck'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.