- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Axelrod: I don’t even know anyone at the IRS
President Obama has pleaded ignorance and said he knew nothing about the Internal Revenue Service’s targeting of conservative groups during the 2012 election season until news reports surfaced last Friday.
His right-hand man and adviser David Axelrod took that defense a step further on Wednesday, saying he literally doesn’t know anyone at the embattled tax collection agency.
“I was in the White House during the years, I think much of the period in question. I must say, I don’t think I could pick an IRS person out of a lineup,” Mr. Axelrod said during an appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” program.
“I never met any of them when I was there” in the West Wing, he added.
The government is “so vast,” Mr. Axelrod said, that it’s unreasonable to expect Mr. Obama — or any president — to keep tabs on every development in every department or agency.
“There’s so much underneath you that you can’t know,” Mr. Axelrod said.
Attorney General Eric Holder has announced a criminal probe into whether anyone at the IRS broke the law.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Ben Wolfgang covers the White House for The Washington Times.
Before joining the Times in March 2011, Ben spent four years as a political reporter at the Republican-Herald in Pottsville, Pa.
He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Obama conciliatory on immigration
- Obama: Conversation with Cantor was 'friendly'
- Obama: 'Our hearts ache' over South Korean ferry tragedy
- Beau Biden announces Delaware gubernatorial bid
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.