- The Washington Times - Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Under growing pressure, the White House on Wednesday released emails that showed the talking points crafted to explain the deadly terrorist attack in Benghazi last year were changed at the behest of a State Department worried about political fallout.

The 100-page cache of email printouts shows that during the editing process references to the fact that U.S. intelligence agencies believed al Qaeda-linked extremists may have been involved in the attack were removed, as were references that the CIA had received general warnings about the worsening security situation in Benghazi, Libya’s second-largest city.


SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope


The talking points were originally drafted by the CIA, but the references to terrorist groups and the security situation were stripped after “deep concerns” were raised by the “leadership” at the State Department, the emails show.

It wasn’t only the State Department, though. The emails show that several changes were made at the behest of White House officials, including John O. Brennan, Mr. Obama’s top counterterrorism adviser at the time who is now director of the CIA. That contradicts repeated statements by White House press secretary Jay Carney.

Four Americans, including Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, died in the terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi in September. The administration at first said the attack was tied to protests over an anti-Islamic video, but eventually acknowledged there was no protest.

Congressional Republicans argue that the administration, in the midst of hotly contested presidential campaign, downplayed the terrorist angle for political reasons — and critics have focused on the talking points as evidence of that.


SEE ALSO: Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal; how the story of a U.S. tragedy unfolded — and then fell apart


They said the emails confirm Republicans’ earlier findings.

“The House interim report found that ‘senior State Department officials requested the talking points be changed to avoid criticism for ignoring the threat environment in Benghazi and that those changes were ultimately made. Those findings are confirmed by the emails released today, and they contradict statements made by the White House that it and the State Department only changed one word in the talking points,” said Brendan Buck, a spokesman for House Speaker John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican.

He said the release was “long overdue” but left out some documents that Republicans are hoping to make public.

The White House previously said it had shown the emails to members of Congress and didn’t need to release them to the public, but relented Wednesday at 5 p.m. — in the middle of news about two other burgeoning scandals involving the IRS targeting conservative groups for special scrutiny and the Justice Department seeking telephone records from The Associated Press.

The FBI’s role

The emails also may lend credence to the administration’s assertion that the principle reason for the removal of the statement identifying some of the attackers as linked to al Qaeda was concern that it might impinge on the FBI’s criminal investigation.

Early in the process of developing the talking points Sept. 14, three days after the attacks, the CIA’s top attorney warned that, because of the ongoing FBI investigation, the agency had been instructed not to make assessments about who was behind the attack, even for internal consumption.

“Folks, I know there is a hurry to get this out,” CIA General Counsel Stephen W. Preston wrote in an email, but he cautioned care was required to “ascertain whether providing it conflicts with express instructions from NSS/DOJ/FBI that, in light of the criminal investigation, we are not to generate statements with assessments as to who did this etc. — even internally, let alone for public release.”

“NSS” is a reference to the White House National Security Staff, and DOJ to the Department of Justice.

Story Continues →