- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
Bruins, Rangers to carry on Boston-New York lore
1978 AL EAST PLAYOFF GAME
This is the game that made Bucky Dent famous. The Yankees and Red Sox were tied for first place, forcing a one-game playoff at Fenway Park. In the seventh inning, Dent’s three-run homer put the Yankees ahead, 3-2. They won 5-4 and went on to win the World Series. Dent, a light-hitting shortstop, hit just five homers in the regular season and only 40 in his 12 regular seasons.
1986 WORLD SERIES
Down to their last strike, the Mets beat the Red Sox in Game 6 when Mookie Wilson’s grounder went through first baseman Bill Buckner’s legs for an error that allowed Ray Knight to score the winning run for a 6-5 win in 10 innings. New York won the championship with an 8-5 win in Game 7 after overcoming a 3-0 deficit.
2004 AL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
The Red Sox became the first major league team to win a seven-game series after losing the first three games. They tied Game 4 against closer Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth when pinch-runner Dave Roberts stole second and scored on Bill Mueller’s single. They won it 6-4 in the 12th on David Ortiz’s two-run homer. The Red Sox went on to their first World Series title in 86 years when they swept the St. Louis Cardinals.
2013 EASTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS
The Knicks won their first playoff series since 2000, beating the Celtics in six games. Boston was trying to become the first NBA team to win a series after losing the first three games and cut the deficit to 3-2. But the Celtics lost the finale 88-80 despite scoring 20 straight points in the fourth quarter and began an offseason of uncertainty with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett possibly having played their last game in Boston uniforms.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again