- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Carlos Zambrano, Phils agree to minor league deal
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - In a need of a lift in the rotation, the Phillies are taking a chance on Carlos Zambrano.
The three-time All-Star agreed to a minor league contract with Philadelphia on Wednesday and will report this week to Clearwater, Fla., for extended spring training.
Zambrano is known as much for his volatile outbursts and dugout confrontations with teammates as he is for his 132 wins over 12 seasons and a no-hitter.
“No promises are made. It’s just an opportunity to add some starting pitching,” Phillies assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said.
Zambrano has the right to terminate the deal if he is not added to the major league roster by July 1.
“It’s low risk, hopefully, high reward,” Proefrock said.
When healthy, Zambrano’s talent has rarely been an issue.
It’s his temper.
He’s feuded with teammates, management and umpires in a number of high-profiles blowups.
Chicago placed Zambrano on the disqualified list with no pay and no part in team activities for 30 days in 2011. He then told team personnel he might retire.
Zambrano was placed on the restricted list for six weeks and sent to anger management in 2010 after a verbal altercation with then-teammate Derrek Lee.
In 2009, he was suspended following a tirade against an umpire in which he threw a baseball into the outfield and slammed his glove against the dugout fence.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama pleads for peace in strife-torn Central African Republic
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow