- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
Burn, Barbie, burn!
Good luck trying to break this news gently to your young daughters.
Topless German feminists on Thursday crucified and burned Barbie in a protest outside the Barbie Dreamhouse in Berlin.
Self-styled “sextremists” from the German group Femen and leftist activists shouting “Pink stinks!” converged on the site, a themed entertainment attraction set in a life-size replica of the enduringly popular Mattel doll’s Malibu digs, to protest against the gender stereotyping they believe the iconic Barbie perpetuates.
One topless protester garlanded with a crown of roses and bearing the slogan “Life In Plastic Is Not Fantastic” scrawled across her torso stood on a giant pink, heeled Barbie shoe holding aloft a burning Barbie on a cross, before being escorted from her pedestal by a security official.
According to the Associated Press, protesters “far outnumbered Barbie fans” there to tour the pink fantasy house.
The first Barbie Dreamhouse Experience opened last week in Sunrise, Florida. The Berlin house, the second site to open, is scheduled to remain in the German capital until August, when it is set to continue on a European tour.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Daniel Wattenberg is arts and features editor for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kevin Spacey, supply-sider
- Distressed viewers in Connecticut call 911 to report cable TV outage
- Breaking: Stumbling Matt Damon vehicle 'Elysium' trails box office leader for second straight day
- Crime victim Kid Rock vows to stand his ground: '… I will not hesitate to shoot …'
- Paula Deen off the hook? Lyndon Johnson, Lee Daniels and the N-word
Latest Blog Entries
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Mike Shanahan says he'd like to return; RG3 might be benched
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow