- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
HARRIS: Capitals’ offseason task: Find Alex Ovechkin a worthy wingman
Is there anyone on the Caps besides Ovechkin you can safely say will be a threat to get 30 goals, let alone 40 or 50?
Getting a player of that caliber could help on the mental side, too. It will presumably be a veteran and one who isn’t bogged down by the Caps’ multiple playoff failures. Maybe he can help lead the always-disappointed core group beyond what’s expected, which would be a nice change from seeing the team often fall short of what’s expected.
Who is he? Where is he? How does he get here? Sorry, no answers jump to mind. Perhaps there is no answer. But George McPhee has been this team’s general manager for a very long time (too long, some might suggest, though we won’t do that here). If there is an answer, he needs to find it. He said when he traded well-regarded prospect Filip Forsberg for Erat that it takes guts to make a trade.
So show some major guts. Make a major trade.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Washington Times sports editor Mike Harris has more than 30 years experience in the business as a reporter, columnist and manager. He’s covered a wide variety of events including two Olympics, horse racing, auto racing, professional and college sports. E-mail him at email@example.com and follow the section on Twitter @WashTimesSports.
- HARRIS: Blown game leaves Caps missing the point
- HARRIS: Dust off the snow as Nats spring training heats up
- HARRIS: Caps have work to do to keep playoff streak alive
- Caps' Canadian contingent cheers for country over Carlson
- HARRIS: Will Alex Ovechkin sulk or soar after Olympic failure?
Latest Blog Entries
- Gio Gonzalez living a dream by throwing bullpen sessions to ex-Yankee Jorge Posada
- Meet Connor Carrick, the youngster who played his way onto the Caps' final roster
- Go Aggies: Nationals notes and lineups for Sept. 14
- RG3: There is no conflict with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan
- Sunday Nats-Dodgers lineups and some thoughts from reliever Craig Stammen
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- House defeats Democrats' attempt to rebuke Issa
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Obama slaps Putin with sanctions, restrictions on visas
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again