- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Depleted Germany roster for U.S. friendly at RFK Stadium
FRANKFURT, Germany — Coach Joachim Loew has called up four newcomers for Germany’s friendlies against Ecuador and the United States, with the stars of Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund absent because of their Champions League final.
“National team games always have a high significance. For the nominated players it’s something special to be there,” Loew said. “I am sure we’ll send a strong team into matches against Ecuador and the United States.”
Lazio striker Miroslav Klose and two Borussia Dortmund players, Kevin Grosskreutz and Sven Bender, are scheduled to join the team after their club commitments for the friendly against the United States.
The full roster:
Goalkeepers: Rene Adler (Hamburger SV), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Borussia Moenchengladbach).
Defenders: Dennis Aogo (Hamburger SV), Andreas Beck (Hoffenheim), Benedikt Hoewedes (Schalke), Marcell Jansen (Hamburger SV), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Heiko Westermann (Hamburger SV), Philipp Wollscheid (Nuremberg).
Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Sven Bender (Borussia Dortmund), Julian Draxler (Schalke), Kevin Grosskreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Aaron Hunt (Werder Bremen), Nicolai Mueller (Mainz), Roman Neustaedter (Schalke), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Stefan Reinartz (Bayer Leverkusen), Sidney Sam (Bayer Leverkusen), Andre Schuerrle (Bayer Leverkusen), Max Kruse (Freiburg).
Forward: Miroslav Klose (Lazio).
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again