MLB hoping for large replay expansion in 2014

continued from page 1

Story Topics
Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

“Years ago they made mistakes, but it wasn’t shown to millions of people,” he said. “I think it would take pressure off them because, bottom line, the call is going to be right.”

Torre said his decision to examine a big expansion came after Jeff Nelson missed a call at second base in the second game of last year’s AL championship series. Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano tagged Detroit’s Omar Infante, and Nelson ruled him safe instead of calling an inning-ending out. Detroit stretched its lead from one run to three and went on to a 3-0 victory and a four-game sweep.

“That really caught my eye and caught my attention with the fact that there was more conversation about that instead of the game itself,” Torre said. “There’s no question we’re considering much more than the trap play and fair/foul. But again, one of the decisions we have to make is how much of this do we want to do without really disrupting and putting people to sleep?”

Players seem to be generally in favor of more replay.

“I like the idea that it is 2013, and since there are things available, at least consider the idea of taking a look at them,” Yankees All-Star outfielder Curtis Granderson said. “It is a very traditional sport, but a lot of these things weren’t available back when the game was originated. But now that you do have the ability to slow it down, freeze it, this that and the other, it’s definitely something to look into.”

On other topics:

_ Selig wouldn’t discuss the investigation of players alleged to have received performance-enhancing drugs from a now-closed Florida anti-aging clinic other than to say the probe was ongoing.

_ Selig said there was no news on Oakland’s quest for a new ballpark in San Jose and the San Francisco Giants to give up their territorial rights there. Selig said the committee he appointed in March 2009 is still at work.

_ Executive vice president Rob Manfred is negotiating with the players’ union over the possibility of starting an international draft in 2014. Management has until June 1 to inform the union it intends to begin a world draft, and the union has until June 15 to reject it.

_ While average attendance through May 15 declined 3.1 percent, from 29,740 to 28,823, Selig blamed the decrease on weather that was “really bad, painfully bad” and said “I’m not overly concerned.” MLB has had 21 weather-related postponements, matching the total for all of last season.

_ Selig said an international opener is possible for 2014. Australian baseball officials have expressed interest.

_ While the pension plan for non-uniformed employees was discussed, no action was taken. MLB has considered eliminating its league-wide plan and allowing teams to make individual decisions.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player