- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Trove of Gretzky memorabilia set for auction
FORT MCMURRAY, ALBERTA (AP) - It started almost two decades ago with a $20 hockey stick once wielded by a forgotten player for a string of mediocre teams.
It ends at the auction block this week when millions of dollars are likely to change hands. This may be the world’s largest game-worn collection of memorabilia from the world’s best player from the sport’s last dynasty.
“When you’re a fan, fans are usually at a distance,” he recently told The Canadian Press in the basement office of his home in Fort McMurray.
The space is a forest of game-used Gretzky hockey sticks, a dressing room of game-worn Gretzky jerseys and a trainer’s bag full of assorted pucks, gloves, helmets and skates _ all touched, used and sweated in by the Great One himself.
“You love the game. You love the athletes, at a distance. At best, you get to attend an event and see them in person. Again, from a distance. And that’s as close as we get. This was all to help me get closer to the game.”
The online auction begins Friday through Montreal’s Classic Auctions. Among the of hundreds of items on sale are:
_the puck Gretzky shot to score his 500th goal, as well as the jersey and skates he was wearing at the time.
_gloves and helmets worn during Stanley Cup victories and regular-season games.
_skates replete with scuffs and repairs.
_Gretzky’s early-1980s Oilers Nike track suit.
_No. 99 practice jersey.
_Gretzky-used equipment bag.
_a stick from Gretzky’s first pro team, the World Hockey Association’s Indianapolis Pacers, on which the equipment manager stamped the name “Gretsky.”
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.