- House and Senate negotiators reach two-year budget deal
- Congress seeks ban on in-flight calls
- Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
- GM’s Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- China: Poisonous smog is a military asset, if you think about it
- Texas woman admits to sending ricin to Obama
- Ron Paul on son Rand: ‘I think he probably will’ run for president
- Cold War heats up again in the Arctic: Russian airfield reactivated after 20 years
- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
AP source: McIlroy to set up own management group
A person with knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press that McIlroy will create his own team run by his father, Gerry, along with close friends and associates. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because McIlroy hasn’t announced the change.
“That’s fair enough,” McDowell said Friday at the World Match Play Championship. “But it’s disappointing, as I am disappointed to lose him as a management stablemate. But we will go forward, still very good friends.”
“Management is a funny thing, and when things are maybe not going 100 percent on the golf course, it’s natural to question everything you are doing from relationships, business and just everything you do,” McDowell said. “Sometimes we decide to make choices and decisions, and take new paths that we perhaps feel like for the bigger picture will help us improve and get better.
“Rory has made a decision about his management structure,” he said. “I don’t know the reasons because I haven’t seen much of him the last few months.”
The change was a surprise, much like when McIlroy left Chubby Chandler of International Sports Management in 2011, just four months after the 24-year-old from Northern Ireland won the U.S. Open by eight shots with a tournament record 16-under 268.
He knew Ridge and the Horizon staff through his close friendship with McDowell, a fellow Ulsterman and U.S. Open champion. McIlroy last year won the PGA Championship by a record eight shots among his five wins worldwide, which made him No. 1 in the world and allowed him to win the money title on the PGA Tour and European Tour.
Horizon negotiated a mega deal with Nike Golf, which is said to be worth upward of $20 million a year. Horizon also brought sponsorship deals with Bose and Omega, structured in such a way that McIlroy’s apparel and golf bag were not splashed with logos. With Nike and Omega, he was able to end his previous contracts with Titleist and Audemars Piguet. He has Santander Bank on his bag, a deal that began under Chandler.
“Business-wise, Rory is in the best shape he’s ever been in his life, and while he has struggled with his golf the early part of this season for whatever reason, I am sure the management company weren’t giving him golf lessons or caddying for him or telling him how to play golf. That’s kind of his own deal,” McDowell said.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- NYC alarms with notice: Immediately surrender your rifle
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Global economy, the civilizing power of markets and public morals.
News and opinion from a Millennial Urbanite with Southern sensibilities,
Notes from a running nerd: musings and more on all things running.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow