- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
Facing fire, ousted IRS chief apologizes for tea party targeting
House GOP leader says White House may be to blame
But on Friday, Mr. Miller suggested the House committee his agency would implement all of the recommendations.
“There’s no air between us on the recommendations,” he said.
The scandal broke open May 10, when Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups, admitted organizations were singled out if they had “tea party” or “patriot” in their titles. In one more revelation from the hearing, Mr. Miller acknowledged that a question had been planted at an unrelated American Bar Association seminar last Friday to allow Ms. Lerner to “break” the news just days before the IG report was released.
The Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday will hold the next hearing on the scandal. A witness list wasn’t released as of Friday.
The following day the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee will conduct a hearing on the scandal, with Mr. George, Ms. Lerner, former IRS Commissioner Shulman and Treasury Deputy Secretary Neal S. Wolin all scheduled to testify.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Sean Lengell covers Congress and national politics and can be reached at email@example.com.
- GOP tests Democrats on college loan issue
- Lawmakers outside intelligence loop get miffed about briefing structure in Congress
- John Boehner: Time is right to bring latest farm bill to House floor
- Supreme Court nears rulings on key voting rights cases
- John Boehner demands answers on NSA, phone records
Latest Blog Entries
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
White House pets gone wild!