- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
- Publisher unveils Hillary Clinton’s new memoir — ‘Hard Choices’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: IRS scandal proves need to scrap code
Just in case further evidence is needed of the damage done to our nation and our hapless people by the Internal Revenue Service, it comes through the news that at some level or levels the terror-inspiring institution targeted Tea Party and related groups for scrutiny and investigation ("Holder: IRS probe will be national, 'dispassionate,'" Web, May 15). This phenomenon should be alarming to the American people, regardless of one's political stripes.
It is bad enough that the convoluted, inane tax code, which extends to tens of thousands of pages, ties the nation into knots, rendering us the laughingstock of the world. But to use this powerful agency against those the administration perceives to be enemies is something one would expect in North Korea, Iran or China, not our "land of liberty" and free speech.
The IRS has grown into an organization that may act in whatever manner it wishes and is feared by the American people. Its supreme reign must be brought to an end. The best way to do that is to swap the income tax for a tax on consumption, a levy that is easy to calculate and simple to remit. The lobbyists that would come out of the woodwork to fight for the preservation of our Rube Goldberg-style tax code must be smited.
How much more evidence is needed to prove that we are subjected to a system of taxation that is merely a miserable and mystifying hodgepodge?
OREN M. SPIEGLER
Upper St. Clair, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable