- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: IRS scandal proves need to scrap code
Just in case further evidence is needed of the damage done to our nation and our hapless people by the Internal Revenue Service, it comes through the news that at some level or levels the terror-inspiring institution targeted Tea Party and related groups for scrutiny and investigation ("Holder: IRS probe will be national, 'dispassionate,'" Web, May 15). This phenomenon should be alarming to the American people, regardless of one's political stripes.
It is bad enough that the convoluted, inane tax code, which extends to tens of thousands of pages, ties the nation into knots, rendering us the laughingstock of the world. But to use this powerful agency against those the administration perceives to be enemies is something one would expect in North Korea, Iran or China, not our "land of liberty" and free speech.
The IRS has grown into an organization that may act in whatever manner it wishes and is feared by the American people. Its supreme reign must be brought to an end. The best way to do that is to swap the income tax for a tax on consumption, a levy that is easy to calculate and simple to remit. The lobbyists that would come out of the woodwork to fight for the preservation of our Rube Goldberg-style tax code must be smited.
How much more evidence is needed to prove that we are subjected to a system of taxation that is merely a miserable and mystifying hodgepodge?
OREN M. SPIEGLER
Upper St. Clair, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- CPAC 2014: Huckabee says government impeding religious liberty
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine