- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
HAGELIN: A personal, pro-family account of the horrors of being targeted by IRS
Question of the Day
Over the past 4 years, the Obama White House has projected its belief that power ought to reside in the all-knowing “government” rather than the people it serves. It’s nothing more than arrogance fed by power. The administration’s track record — of ignoring constitutional boundaries on religious liberty, executive powers and fiscal budgets — reflects an attitude that progressives are entitled to do whatever is necessary in order to further their radical agenda, no matter how many constitutional freedoms or limits they trample upon in the process.
How to save your family: Fight back, patriots
Americans, this is the time to stand up and demand accountability. The IRS employees implicated in the scandal, as well as their do-nothing superiors, must be fired. A thorough congressional investigation must be undertaken, in addition to the one the Obama administration’s Justice Department supposedly will conduct, to see how deep and wide the IRS scandal really is. New laws, along the lines of legislation proposed by Sen. Jeff Flake, Arizona Republican, to prohibit the IRS from discriminating on the basis of ideology, must be passed. Conservative groups that have been targeted unfairly must take their stories to the media and pursue justice in the courts.
It’s time to push back.
It’s also time to look ahead and gear up for the 2014 elections. We must clean house in Congress and restore the power of the American people, expressed in limited government. America’s freedoms will not survive if we do not stop the madness.
Continuing down the present road is unthinkable. Today, the IRS harasses citizens because of their political and religious views; tomorrow, the IRS, empowered by Obamacare, will harass citizens because of their choices regarding medical care and insurance. In the meantime, the government will build a massive database of Americans’ most sensitive, personal information, effectively at the disposal of thousands of faceless bureaucrats who, we are supposed to believe, will never stoop to snooping in or leaking such information.
It’s time to put an end to the “progressive” agenda that threatens all of our constitutional rights. It’s time to be a patriot. You can make your voice heard on the IRS scandal at a special website set up by another great organization with which I am associated, FreedomWorks. Simply go to FreedomWorksforMe.com to demand immediate action by our elected officials. Because when government tyranny strikes even one of us, all Americans lose.
• Rebecca Hagelin can be reached at rebecca@howtosave yourfamily.com.
TWT Video Picks
By Richard Rahn
Treaty would let tyrants peer into Americans' financial information
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq