- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
No prison for Michigan woman in NFL pension fraud
DETROIT (AP) - The Detroit-area daughter of an ex-Chicago Bears player has been sentenced to six months in a halfway house for collecting about $70,000 from an NFL retirement fund after her dad died.
Detroit federal Judge David Lawson says Constance Helwig-Langlois (LANG'-loy) qualified for prison for the "serial crime." But he accepted the government's request to give her a break Thursday.
John Helwig played for the Bears in the 1950s. He died in 1994, but retirement checks kept coming. Helwig's wife illegally cashed them for 13 years until she died in 2007. Their daughter kept the scheme going until 2011.
Helwig-Langlois has apologized and says she suffers from depression. She also must repay about $50,000 illegally collected from an annuity. Living at a halfway house lets her work during the day.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014