- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court declines to hear challenge to N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
No prison for Michigan woman in NFL pension fraud
DETROIT (AP) - The Detroit-area daughter of an ex-Chicago Bears player has been sentenced to six months in a halfway house for collecting about $70,000 from an NFL retirement fund after her dad died.
Detroit federal Judge David Lawson says Constance Helwig-Langlois (LANG'-loy) qualified for prison for the "serial crime." But he accepted the government's request to give her a break Thursday.
John Helwig played for the Bears in the 1950s. He died in 1994, but retirement checks kept coming. Helwig's wife illegally cashed them for 13 years until she died in 2007. Their daughter kept the scheme going until 2011.
Helwig-Langlois has apologized and says she suffers from depression. She also must repay about $50,000 illegally collected from an annuity. Living at a halfway house lets her work during the day.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.