- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
Now batting for the AFL-CIO … Bryce Harper?
Washington Nationals superstar Bryce Harper’s ribs may be aching a bit, but he’s apparently healthy enough for the AFL-CIO to tout a clip of him speaking about his father, a union ironworker — part of an hour-long film, “Being Bryce,” that debuted on ESPN earlier this week.
“Washington Nationals wunderkind outfielder Bryce Harper works hard,” blog editor and social media manager Jackie Tortora writes on the labor group’s “AFL-CIO Now” blog. “Where does he get that work ethic? His father, a union ironworker from Las Vegas, who installs rebar on construction sites in sometimes extreme conditions.”
“My dad, he worked rebar, an ironworker,” Mr. Harper says. “You know, watching my pops get up every single morning, going into work, working hard — I think that really made me want to work that hard, wanted to make me get up early and go for a run or go get my lift in or go get some early hitting in or extra hitting in and really try to better myself every day.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Sherfinski covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- CPAC 2014: Huckabee says government impeding religious liberty
- CPAC 2014: Rick Perry to conservatives: 'You are the path to the future'
- CPAC 2014: McConnell works to reassure conservatives
- CPAC 2014: GOP optimism, agenda emerge at CPAC
- CPAC 2014: NRA's LaPierre says gun owners won't back down
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Border Patrol policy still permits agents to shoot at rock-throwers
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again