- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Schools should go vegetarian
Question of the Day
Schools across the country should look to New York City elementary school P.S. 244’s visionary, plant-based cafeteria not only to improve their students’ test scores, attention and mental focus, but also to improve students’ overall health and well-being (“Where’s the beef? Bloomberg launches vegetarian-only school lunch,” Web, May 1).
School districts that offer healthy, low-fat, cholesterol-free options give their students a leg up on test scores. Many studies link low-fat, high-fiber diets with brain-boosting power, and simply adding more fruits, vegetables and whole grains in school cafeterias will help halt the meteoric rise of obesity, type 2 diabetes and hypertension, among other chronic diseases in children and teens.
As a dietitian who helps school lunch programs nationwide make their menus more healthful, I urge more schools to follow in the footsteps of P.S. 244 by serving high-fiber, low-fat, nutrient-packed meals.
Director of nutrition education
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'