- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
Seattle May Day protest turns violent; 17 arrested
Question of the Day
Seventeen were arrested for hurling objects at police in a Wednesday evening May Day protest in Seattle that turned violent.
Police said in CNN that crowds began to throw rocks, bottles, fireworks, pipes and even a skateboard at police, leaving eight officers injured. Most of their injuries were minor; one, however, was hit hard in the knee with a 4-inch rock.
Meanwhile, a woman driving by the scene was injured when a protester threw a glass bottle at her windshield, CNN reported.
Police ultimately fired off flash-bang grenades to calm the chaos, CNN said.
The 17 who were arrested were charged with destruction of property and with assault, CNN reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Woman vows 10K-mile stationary bike ride for Obama: 'Just asking for a wave'
- Orlando Bloom's punch at Justin Bieber brings on the crowd cheers
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them 'into a burning building'
- 'Queen of Mean' Leona Helmsley's former home hits market for $65M
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world