- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Workers applaud as flag covered spire goes up at World Trade Center, 1,776 feet high
Question of the Day
It was an emotion-filled moment Thursday, as construction workers paused to applaud the lifting of a U.S. flag-covered spire to the top of New York's One World Trade Center.
The clapping continued as the crane directed the spire skyward, and positioned it gently onto a platform at the trade center's top, The Associated Press reported. The spire will be soon moved atop the structure — making it one of the tallest buildings in the nation — which is located on the site of the Sept. 11 terror attacks. Fully constructed, the building will stand a symbolic 1,776 feet.
The 408-foot-spire isn't just for looks. It will serve as the broadcast antenna for the building, AP reported.
The new tower is located on the northwest corner of the property.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- David Duchovny draws ire with pro-Russia beer ad
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Sarah Palin Channel makes online debut as counter to mainstream media
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq