- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
Transforming democrats to dictators
The president’s abuse of power crosses the line
Question of the Day
Ever since Barack Obama was nominated in 2008 as the Democratic candidate for the president of the United States, his staunchest critics have implied that he had the makings of a dictator.
Those admonitions were not taken at all seriously, however, and the liberal media ridiculed anyone if they dared suggest the new president was anything but the messiah.
Those of us who saw then what the press is finally seeing now were dismissed and ridiculed as racists.
After several years of being told we were wrong about President Obama’s authoritarian streak, the liberal media are finally starting to consider that this president may be the very megalomaniac we said he was.
Mr. Obama probably could have gotten away with the fact his Internal Revenue Service was unlawfully targeting conservative Tea Party organizations if, in the same week, the media hadn’t learned that his Justice Department was also spying on journalists by secretly subpoenaing phone records from The Associated Press.
Even The New York Times opined, “The Obama administration, which has a chilling zeal for investigating leaks and prosecuting leakers, has failed to offer credible justification for secretly combing through phone records of reporters and editors at The Associated Press, in what looks like a fishing expedition for sources and an effort to frighten off whistleblowers.”
Of course, prosecutorial abuse of power should not come as a surprise. Last year, a federal court found that the Obama Justice Department illegally shut down the prosecution of the New Black Panther Party, which had engaged in illegal voter intimidation.
Until Sen. Rand Paul heroically stood up on the Senate floor, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. actually suggested the White House had the legal authority to kill American citizens by using drones without due process.
The media did not take the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi seriously until recently, when State Department whistleblowers came forward and testified that the administration lied, knew they lied and then pressured witnesses to remain silent.
The New Yorker finally admitted, “Now there’s something to it.”
Unbeknownst to many, while Tea Party patriot groups were having their applications for nonprofit status intentionally delayed, the IRS fast-tracked the charity of the president’s half-brother, the Barack H. Obama Foundation.
The president also used taxpayer dollars to help finance his political allies by investing in companies like Solyndra when the White House knew the refinancing could break the law and that the company was on a path to financial failure anyway.
Mr. Obama said his administration was the most transparent administration in history, but in actuality, he has denied more Freedom of Information Act requests than the Bush administration ever did. The president also failed to follow up on his promise to make visitor logs available to the American public.
In March, Slate opined that, “Because he is a Democrat, [Mr. Obama has] gotten a free pass from many of the civil liberty and good-government groups who spent years watching President Bush’s every move like a hawk.”
During his first 16 months in office, the president refused to release his long-form birth certificate, and anyone who dared raise the issue was unfairly labeled a racist and conspiracy fanatic.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Senate overcomes first filibuster of Obama's border-spending bill
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'