- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
European Union poised to add Hezbollah to terror list
The European Union, under pressure from the international community and on the heels of a formal request from Britain, is poised to add Hezbollah to its list of terror groups.
Agence France-Presse reported that Britain formally had petitioned the EU to blacklist the group, a Shiite militant movement headquartered in Lebanon. Israel and the United States — both of which list Hezbollah as a terrorist group — long have sought the listing, and the EU has planned a discussion of the matter in June, diplomats said to AFP.
Adding Hezbollah to the EU's terrorist organization list requires the unanimous consent of member groups. Some members — most notably, France — have been reluctant to take the step. Concerns are that listing Hezbollah as a terror group could lead to the further destabilization of Lebanon.
Right now, only two EU members — the Netherlands and Britain — list Hezbollah as a terrorist group, Ynet reported. In April, Bahrain joined the call. Parliament members voted unanimously to designate Hezbollah as a terror group and, in so doing, ratcheted pressure on the EU to do the same.
"It is time we join the world in outlawing this group, which has terrorized the region enough and has been instrumental in spreading evil among us," said Bahrain lawmaker Shaikh Jassim Al Saeedi, as the Heritage Foundation reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 10 million new babies? China's hope for boom likely to become policy bust
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.