- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
In Oklahoma tornado’s aftermath, talk of ‘safe rooms’
Though many state schools have them, there is no requirement — yet
She was joined by Secretary of Homeland Security Janet A. Napolitano, who arrived in the city of about 56,000 to survey the damage and supervise federal disaster relief workers already on the ground.
President Obama will visit Moore over the weekend.
The tornado, described by one official as “the storm of storms,” claimed 24 lives and injured more than 230 others. Property damage is estimated to be between $1.5 billion and $2 billion.
Residents were allowed to return to their homes for the first time Wednesday, with local officials confident there are no more victims buried beneath rubble.
Clean-up efforts will continue throughout the weekend, just as the first victims’ funerals begin.
Those funerals will include services for several of the seven children killed when Monday’s tornado tore through their school.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Ben Wolfgang covers the White House for The Washington Times.
Before joining the Times in March 2011, Ben spent four years as a political reporter at the Republican-Herald in Pottsville, Pa.
He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Commercial drone use not prohibited by FAA rules, judge says
- In Florida, Obama pushes federal college grants
- CPAC 2014: Democrats target convention as part of midterm-election strategy
- Obama urges Putin in phone call: De-escalate crisis in Ukraine
- Obama slaps Putin with sanctions, restrictions on visas
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Billionaire gets mobbed by fans at CPAC
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again