- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
IndyCar owner Sarah Fisher hitting the books
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Sarah Fisher is going back to school.
The youngest woman to race in the Indianapolis 500 and first female car owner, Fisher has enrolled in the business school of Western Governors University to pursue her bachelor's degree.
Fisher graduated near the top of her high school class but put college on hold to pursue her racing career. She spent three seasons in quarter midgets before making her IndyCar debut in 1999, and then became the third woman after Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James to race in the Indy 500.
She retired as a driver in 2010, and now fields a car along with businessman Wink Hartman for Josef Newgarden. He'll start 25th in Sunday's race.
"Now that I'm a mother, a wife and an IndyCar team owner, I'm constantly juggling my schedule," Fisher said. "I'm ready to finish my degree, but I need a university that's adaptable to my life and offers quality programs that make going back to school a good investment of my time and energy. I'm excited about earning my degree at WGU Indiana."
The online school was established three years ago by former Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels as an affordable alternative to more traditional colleges. It's grown to more than 3,000 students.
"I expect Sarah to excel in our university, because she demonstrates the same traits of our other students: a strong work ethic, independence and a commitment to excellence," WGU Indiana Chancellor Allison Barber said. "I'm excited to watch her learn and inspire other Hoosiers."
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.