- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Charlotte hoping to land X Games from 2014-16
Question of the Day
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) - Charlotte Motor Speedway is putting on the full-court press to land the X Games for three years beginning in 2014.
Charlotte is among four finalists who have applied to host the action-sports contest that include events such as skateboarding, BMX racing and Rally Car. The other finalists are Chicago, Detroit and Austin, Texas.
ESPN plans to announce the new host city by Aug. 1.
CMS officials are hoping a great race experience this weekend at the Coca-Cola 600 convinces the network that the event should be hosted in Charlotte for the first time. The track sent out a crew out to talk to race fans, hand out X Games shirts and create support for hosting the event in the Queen City.
Track owner Bruton Smith has also added an X Games logo added to the track’s infield grass.
“In many respects, Charlotte Motor Speedway was one of the original action sports venues, having hosted world-class NASCAR and NHRA events that have drawn the attention of international audiences for more than 50 years,” CMS president and general manager Marcus Smith said. “These events combine extreme action sports entertainment with the ESPN brand for more than 100,000 fans on site and tens of millions watching worldwide.
“Like the annual running of our NASCAR races or last year’s Democratic National Convention, the X Games would bring a tremendous spotlight to the greater Charlotte region and on the great state of North Carolina.”
The X Games have been held in and around the Los Angeles area for the past decade but will move on after this summer’s event.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq