- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
6 children, 1 adult injured in boat explosion
Six children and an adult were seriously hurt in a boat explosion Monday, Anne Arundel County officials said.
Fire department spokesman Lt. Jack Beall said none of the injuries were considered life threatening, but at least two of the children suffered serious burns.
The explosion happened at about 11:56 a.m. at the Oak Grove Marina in the 2800 block of Solomons Island Road.
“They had fueled the boat at the fuel dock and were heading out into the river,” Lt. Beall said. “One of the engines stopped running. They were trying to restart the second engine and there was an explosion.”
Lt. Beall said the 32-foot Wellcraft boat was about 100 feet away from the refueling station, and early investigations point to the explosion as a flash fire, which did not continue to burn.
Ten people were aboard the boat, Lt. Beall said. A 9-year-old girl and 9-year-old boy were flown by helicopter to a burn center, while another 9-year-old boy, a 12-year-old girl, a 13-year-old girl and a 31-year-old woman were taken by ambulance to a hospital. Another 13-year-old girl was taken by ambulance to a children’s hospital in Baltimore. Two adults on board refused treatment. It was unclear whether the tenth person on board the boat was injured.
Lt. Beall said he did not know if the people on board the boat were related.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Chris Brown's assault trial delayed by D.C. judge
- In the company of a saint: Catholic Church will canonize Pope John Paul and Pope John XXIII
- Chris Brown assault trial delayed again
- '8THEIST' plate denial sparks lawsuit in New Jersey
- Faith scores again at the box office
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014