- Calif. tourist community evacuated over suspected explosive device
- Obama to use executive seat to push private companies onto solar
- ‘X-Men’ director Bryan Singer accused of sexually abusing a boy
- Tennessee ammunition site explodes, killing 1
- U.N.: Iran cuts stock closest to nuke-arms grade
- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
Kanaan earned nearly $2.4 million at Indy 500
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Tony Kanaan won nearly $2.4 million for his victory at the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.
The earnings were announced Monday at the Indianapolis 500 Victory Awards Celebration at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Checks were handed out at the lavish annual event, and Kanaan's total was $2,353,500.
It was a steep drop in earnings for the second-place finisher, but 21-year-old Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz probably isn't complaining about $964,205.
Third-place finisher Ryan Hunter-Reay, the defending IndyCar champion, earned $583,005.
Marco Andretti, who took over the series points lead with his fourth-place finish, earned $469,755. Englishman Justin Wilson was fifth with $337,805.
Three-time winner Helio Castroneves, who finished sixth, earned $313,755. Last year's winner, Dario Franchitti, crashed late and finished 23rd. He earned $277,805.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.