- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Kanaan earned nearly $2.4 million at Indy 500
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Tony Kanaan won nearly $2.4 million for his victory at the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.
The earnings were announced Monday at the Indianapolis 500 Victory Awards Celebration at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Checks were handed out at the lavish annual event, and Kanaan's total was $2,353,500.
It was a steep drop in earnings for the second-place finisher, but 21-year-old Colombian rookie Carlos Munoz probably isn't complaining about $964,205.
Third-place finisher Ryan Hunter-Reay, the defending IndyCar champion, earned $583,005.
Marco Andretti, who took over the series points lead with his fourth-place finish, earned $469,755. Englishman Justin Wilson was fifth with $337,805.
Three-time winner Helio Castroneves, who finished sixth, earned $313,755. Last year's winner, Dario Franchitti, crashed late and finished 23rd. He earned $277,805.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again