- Outrage as Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
- Israel poised for a $173M boost from the U.S. for missile defense
- Leon Panetta named as source of ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ scriptwriter’s information
- Mandela service sign language interpreter: ‘He made up his own signs’
- Pope Francis named Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
- Ben Affleck: Fundraising for Democrats started to ‘feel gross’
- Vladimir Putin orders military to boost presence in Arctic
- Brooklyn, N.Y.: ‘Lesbian capital’ of the Northeast
- Elian Gonzalez: It’s America’s fault that my mother died
- India top court rules homosexuality is illegal
Pregnant woman, three-year-old son killed in N.C. boating crash
A pregnant woman and her 3-year-old son were killed on Sunday after their pontoon boat collided with a speed boat on a lake southwest of Greensboro, N.C., WGHP reports.
Authorities recovered Melissa Chambers Britt's body from Swearing Creek, a part of High Rock Lake. Her son, William Jaiden Britt, died at a hospital, the station reports.
The boy's father was driving the pontoon boat at the time of the crash. He was not injured, but the family dog, also on the boat, is missing.
Officials said the speed boat was driving well over 25 mph in a shallow part of the lake, WGHP reports. No one on the speed boat was injured.
The driver will have to wait until next week to hear from the Davidson County district attorney about possible criminal charges, WGHP reports.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- George H.W. Bush joins Twitter
- Gisele Bundchen, Brazilian supermodel, posts 'multitasking' breastfeeding pic
- Chicago-area youth baseball treasurer accused of embezzling $80K
- Galaxy S4 owner claims Samsung tried to silence him after phone caught fire
- Michelle Malkin's Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
Latest Blog Entries
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- More than a quarter million sign up for Obamacare in November
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
News and views on the Civil War.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow