- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Shoelaces used to restrain unruly airline passenger
Question of the Day
A passenger on a commercial flight from Alaska to Oregon was arrested Monday after he reportedly tried to open the emergency exit door while the plane was preparing to land.
Passengers and crew aboard the Alaska Airlines flight from Anchorage to Portland told authorities that 23-year-old Alexander Michael Herrera made “unusual statements” before trying to open the exit door, FBI spokeswoman Beth Anne Steele said.
Mr. Herrera set off an alarm by pulling the door handle. “I put him in a choke hold and brought him down to the ground,” witness Henry Pignataro told KGW-TV.
Other passengers had to help restrain Mr. Herrera by using shoelaces and seat-belt extensions to bind his feet and hands, Mr. Pignataro told the station.
The passenger was then placed into a seat until the plane landed only nine minutes behind schedule, CBS Seattle reports.
Mr. Herrera was charged with interfering with a flight crew and is expected to make his first court appearance on Tuesday, CBS Seattle reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- N.J. teen who sued parents granted restraining order against boyfriend
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq