- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
SGT. SHAFT: Veteran with prostate cancer seeks help with VA claim
Dear Sgt. Shaft:
Last year, I contacted you for assistance with my VA claim because in March 2011, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and on June 2, 2011, my prostate was removed. I submitted a VA claim in Virginia, which was lost.
I submitted another in California where I had to move to be near my son so he could assist me. After contacting you, I was contacted by California VA, and was scheduled for various medical examinations, which I immediately underwent. As of this date, my VA claim still has not been processed,
Thank you very much, and any assistance you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.
Via the Internet
I forwarded your inquire to the powers that be at the Department of Veterans Affairs. Hopefully, they will track your case to determine who dropped the ball.
• The Sarge is looking forward to joining the Blinded American Veterans Foundation (BAVF) and other invited guests on June 13 at the organization’s 28th annual Congressional Awards reception commencing at 11:30 a.m. in Room 334 of the Cannon House Office Building.
Our nation’s colors will be presented by the Military District of Washington’s Joint Color Guard, and the very talented Marine Corps Brass Quintet will once again perform patriotic music.
Recipients of the BAVF’s “Buck” Gillispie Congressional Award are Rep. Martha Roby, Alabama, and Rep. Mike Michaud, Maine. The Carlton Sherwood Media Award will be present to George L. Skypeck, military historical artist and poet, and to John Harper, editor of Military.com.
The George Alexander Memorial Volunteer Award will be presented to: Christopher Holley, Veterans Benefits counselor, Department of Veterans Affairs; and to Jonathan Wilson, advocacy officer, Department of Veterans Affairs. The Corporate Volunteer Award will be presented to Randy Ortanez, president of PCTEST Engineering Laboratory Inc.
Bob Madigan, WTOP “Man About Town” will be the Master of Ceremony of the event.
The BAVF will host the annual Flag Week picnic on Saturday, June 15, in Silver Spring, honoring Fernando Rivera, VA VISN Director, (DelMarVa region) Medical Centers. Local, state and federal leaders will be also be present. Picnickers will be serenaded with live music, and as in past years, there will be plenty of refreshments and Lakis will provide his famous New York hot dogs, Washington-style.
• The Sarge encourages all members of Congress to join Rep. Gus M. Bilirakis, a Florida Republican and the vice-chairman of the Veterans’ Affairs Committee, who has introduced H.R. 2063, which would authorize enrollment at Department of Veterans Affairs medical facilities for all veterans who served during World War II.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's widow seeks information regarding husband's benefits
- SGT. SHAFT: Divorced veteran seeks help getting full retirement benefits back
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's wife seeks help for husband with multiple sclerosis
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's spouse will be able to continue on TRICARE Prime until age 65
- SGT. SHAFT: Veteran's medical claim held up at VA
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.