- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Loudoun deputy fatally shoots knife-wielding woman at Costco
A Loudoun County sheriff’s deputy fatally shot a knife-wielding woman inside a Sterling Costco store Wednesday afternoon, according to officials.
Two deputies were dispatched to the warehouse store for a report of a “disorderly suspect” and encountered the woman, identified as 38-year-old Mhai Scott of Sterling, Va., in the rear of the building, Loudoun County Sheriff Michael L. Chapman said.
“The woman was armed and she came at the deputies,” Sheriff Chapman said.
One deputy fired a Taser at the woman, but it did not stop her.
“The deputy had to resort to firing his weapon,” Sheriff Chapman said.
One of the deputies was also hit by a bullet in the leg, though it was unclear if the deputy was shot or struck when a bullet ricocheted.
Authorities had not identified the women Wednesday or said specifically what she did to initially attract attention.
Crowds of shoppers cleared the store, located at 21398 Price Cascades Plaza in Sterling, as investigators continued to question witnesses and review surveillance footage from inside the building.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- D.C. Council sues Mayor Gray over budget autonomy law
- Guilty verdict in execution-style killings of 2 women, 2 children in Lanham
- Minority parties see power grab for D.C. vote
- Two bodies found under bridge near Southeast D.C. highway
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.