- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
A.J. Burnett, Pirates shut down Nationals in series opener
Question of the Day
Andrew McCutchen had three hits, including a home run, for Pittsburgh. Leadoff man Starling Marte and Gaby Sanchez added two hits apiece.
Mark Melancon pitched a scoreless eighth and Jason Grilli shut out the Nationals in the ninth for his 12th save in as many chances.
Washington first baseman Adam LaRoche went 2 for 3 to equal the number of hits he had in his previous 11 games and 38 at-bats.
McCutchen hit a solo shot off Detwiler in the first inning for a 1-0 lead. The center fielder has 10 home runs against Washington in 24 games.
“It’s kind of weird, but it was the same exact pitch on both home runs and it’s what ended up beating me,” Detwiler said. “I tried to get a fastball to the outside corner and they both cut back over the plate and their guys hit them, which is what they’re supposed to do and what they get paid for.”
The Nationals tied it in the fourth on Danny Espinosa’s RBI single. It was just the second hit in the last 23 at-bats for the second baseman.
Nationals hitters struck out 14 times as Melancon had two and Grilli had three.
“We’ve got good hitters but we’re striking out more than we should,” Nationals manager Davey Johnson said. “I don’t know if it’s being aggressive early in the count or not, but I do feel we’re trying too hard to make things happen. Everyone just needs to relax a little bit.”
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Tony Dungy doubles down on Michael Sam remarks: 'Drafting him would bring much distraction'
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 "criminal aliens"
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq