- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Separate rules for Chicago politicians
Illinois state Sen. Donne Trotter, a Democrat, was accused of trying to board a plane headed to Washington with a gun. He pleaded guilty to reckless conduct and avoided felony charges — good for him because a felony conviction could have lost Mr. Trotter his job and pension.
But Mr. Trotter was, in fact, trying to board an aircraft with a weapon. Do you know what else it might have cost? The life of everyone on that airplane. Just so I have the laws correct, one still cannot bring makeup aboard a flight — but knives (similar to the box cutters used in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks) are OK, as is boarding with a gun if you are high-profile enough. Interesting laws seem to abound for Chicago politicians.
JACQUELINE A. POSTAL
Silver Spring, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'