- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
Papis uses Zanardi’s good luck charm to win pole
DETROIT (AP) - Alex Zanardi's good luck charm remained perfect with Max Papis' pole-winning performance.
Zanardi lent one of his gold medals from the 2012 London Paralympics to Tony Kanaan last week before Kanaan won the Indianapolis 500. The medal was rubbed all over Kanaan's car, and Kanaan said he cuddled with it in his motorhome before the race.
Zanardi also lent it to fellow Italian Papis, and Papis parlayed it Friday into a pole-winning run at Belle Isle. It was Papis' first first Grand-AM Rolex Sports Car Series pole since 2004 at Belle Isle Park.
"First he gave it to Tony and he kept it in his motorhome and obviously he wore it," Papis said. "I got it, and I rubbed it all over me."
Zanardi, who lost both of his legs in a horrific crash in a CART event in 2001, won the medal in paracycling. His recovery has inspired millions, including Papis, his friend and competitor with whom he raced against in CART for three seasons.
After several years in NASCAR, Papis returned to Grand-AM this season, where he races a Ferrari 458 Italia. He won the Daytona Prototype championship in the Rolex Series for Chip Ganassi Racing in 2004.
"Alex said if it wasn't going to bring me enough luck he would send it to me to keep in the car," Papis said. "But it looks like it's brought some luck."
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014