- Israel mulls gift of West Bank land to Palestinians
- Stocks gain as investors weigh economic news
- Doctors say ‘profound’ new HIV treatment may prove the cure
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- NYPD head Ray Kelly wins big retirement perk — a $1.5M tax-paid team of bodyguards
- #smh: Pentagon may forgive recruits’ vulgar, disrespectful social media posts
- Libraries to feds: Stop spying on us
- Britain eyes new powers to thwart Islamic extremists
- Angry NTSB ousts railroad union from N.Y. train crash site
- Sen. Bernie Sanders hints at White House run
Feds: 10 of 15 worst countries for religious intolerance are Muslim
Question of the Day
The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom has revealed that 10 of the 15 "worst violators of religious freedom" in the world are Muslim nations.
The federal advisory body, created by the International Religious Freedom Act, monitors religious freedom abuses worldwide, Catholic Online reports.
The 15 most intolerant countries listed are Burma, China, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Vietnam.
All of these nations severely restrict independent religious activity and harass people for minority religious activity, classifying these countries as Tier 1 "countries of particular concern" in the report.
Nigeria, for example, made the list for "continuing religious violence between Muslims and Christians compounded by the government's toleration of the sectarian attacks"
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un fires powerful uncle, publicly executes associates: report
- 'Curb Appeal' co-host Bill Beckwith dies in motorcycle accident
- Obama campaign group launches Sandy Hook anniversary events for gun control
- 'Duck Dynasty' characters sparked baby name trend for 2013
- Alabama woman kills fellow Tide fan who didn't seem upset over loss: family
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Harris and Madhav Khandekar
Bad science puts rich nations on the hook for trillions in climate liabilities
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- Issa: FBI impeding inquiry into IRS targeting of conservative groups
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Westboro Baptists slam actor Paul Walker: He's 'in Hell'
- Last call: State Dept. bought $180,000 in liquor before shutdown
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Harry Reid gives some staffers a pass on Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.