- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
HAGELIN: The reality of abortion — Kermit Gosnell is no outlier
Question of the Day
Culture challenge of the week: The ‘right to choose’
Over the past few weeks, the appalling evidence in the murder trial of abortionist Kermit Gosnell generated tears, horror and outrage — at least among Americans exposed to the story.
For those unfamiliar with the case, here’s the quick summary: Dr. Gosnell, a longtime Philadelphia abortionist who specialized in late-term abortions, is charged with the killing of several newborn babies (born alive in “failed abortions”) and for causing the death of a patient, a young immigrant who was pregnant. His preferred method of killing a just-delivered infant was particularly brutal: Jurors were told he or his staffers would stick a scissors in the back of the still-breathing, wriggling infant’s neck and “snip” the spinal cord. The dying baby would be tossed aside.
The grand jury report described Dr. Gosnell’s abortion clinic as a “house of horrors.” Bloodstained, dirty instruments were used on women without proper sterilization, animal feces littered the clinic space, untrained workers administered anesthesia and medication, and the bodies of aborted babies were stuffed into milk jugs, garbage bags and the freezer. As the prosecutor said in closing arguments, even sick dogs were put down more humanely than these babies.
The liberal news media, with few exceptions, engaged in a blackout of the case. Why? Because, as one writer recently acknowledged, they were worried that informing the public about Dr. Gosnell’s butchery might “compromise” abortion rights.
The pro-choice crowd is scared to death that women, and their boyfriends, fathers and husbands, will look at the gruesome photos of the babies Dr. Gosnell is accused of murdering and realize that they were babies, not blobs of tissue. Or that they might realize that a baby loses its life in every abortion. The abortion cheerleaders don’t want women to discover that the heart and soul of every abortionist is callous and full of evil, whether the abortionist is breaking the law, as Dr. Gosnell appeared to be, or following the law to the letter.
The Gosnell case is an awful, tragic reminder of what abortion is about: killing children and maiming women. Dr. Gosnell allegedly butchered babies and their mothers, but even legal abortion causes unseen emotional and spiritual wounds to the mothers. What is perhaps equally as disgusting is the great lengths President Obama went to, even during the worst trial of this kind in history, to push his agenda. Last week, he actually gave a pep talk to Planned Parenthood leaders, staffers and supporters, telling them that in the “fight to make sure women have access to quality, affordable health care and to protect a woman’s right to make her own choices about her own health,” (meaning to get an abortion for any reason) he would be “right there with you fighting every step of the way.”
How to save your family: Affirm the right to life
The “right to choose” is a euphemism that means one thing: abortion. And every abortion has at least three primary victims: a mother, wounded and bereft of her child; a father whose child may have been killed without his knowledge or consent; and a child cut down in cold blood.
It’s important that we share the truth about abortion with our friends, family and the public. We know that many women resorted to abortion when what they really needed was loving support to carry them through a tough pregnancy and beyond.
We can affirm the goodness of life in many ways. Let me suggest just a few.
First, pray for women facing difficult pregnancies alone and unsupported. Pray that the Lord will bring people into their lives to help them see solutions other than abortion.
Second, support organizations that provide immediate help to women and consider volunteering your time to reach out personally. Offering something as simple as a cup of coffee and a listening ear may be the difference between life and death.
Third, show mercy and kindness to women who have had abortions. Many women carry that secret in shame, living with unspoken regret, sadness and fear of judgment. Our God is a God of mercy. No matter what circumstances may have led a mother to abort her child, she needs to know that God wants to embrace her and to offer his forgiveness and healing.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay comments
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
Does it take over 25 years in public service to really know what goes on in Washington?
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow