- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
State Department official knew Benghazi ‘was a terrorist attack from the get-go’
A top State Department official scheduled to give congressional testimony Wednesday on the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, says he knew immediately the attacks were terror strikes, not a protest turned violent, according to interview transcripts released Sunday, Fox News reports.
"I thought it was a terrorist attack from the get-go," says Greg Hicks, the deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy in Libya at the time of the Sept. 11 attacks. "I think everybody in the mission thought it was a terrorist attack from the beginning."
Mr. Hicks is scheduled to testify before the Republican-led House Oversight and Government Affairs Committee, as is Mark Thompson, the deputy coordinator for operations in the State Department's Counterterrorism Bureau.
Another "whistle-blower," Eric Nordstrom, an agency diplomatic security officer who was the regional security officer in Libya, already has testified, Fox News reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Discovery Channel cancels Mt. Everest jump after avalanche kills 13
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Malaysia Airlines flight makes emergency landing in Kuala Lumpur
- 7-year-old twin boys fight off carjacker with toy snake
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.