- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Abortionists manipulate language
Question of the Day
I applaud the Rev. Frank Pavone’s work (“The merciless mind of the abortionist,” Commentary, May 2). His exploration of the mind of the abortionist rings true — especially with regard to the abortionist’s stifling of conscience.
The abortion industry has manipulated language. Early on, it realized its interests were better served by the term “pro-choice” instead of “pro-abortion.” Of course, any logical person scrutinizing the term “pro-choice” can see that as the antithesis of “pro-life,” the term “pro-choice” must ultimately connote “pro-death.”
But the abortionists, like those in advertising, know that people are not so much logical as emotional. So they continuously fan the fires of emotion with terms like “rape,” “incest” and “back-alley abortions.” In keeping with Father Pavone’s analysis, the abortionist must distance himself from the carnage he wreaks; he rejects the term “unborn child,” preferring the emotionally neutral “fetus,” fallaciously described as a part of the mother’s body — and allegedly giving the mother carte blanche to destroy it. (The science of DNA is conveniently shunned.)
Sadly, the courts have acquiesced to this emotional Richter scale of popular sentiment and abdicated their responsibility to reason. In doing so, they have trampled upon the right to life and have unwittingly become accomplices of the abortion industry.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- California's Jerry Brown cites God, 'religious call' to embrace illegals
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Appeals court upholds Obamacare tax as constitutional