U.S. could have halted Benghazi attack with fly-over: Diplomat

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

U.S. air power could have headed off at least part of last year’s terrorist attack on the diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, but American officials didn’t have the capability to refuel warplanes in time, the second-ranking U.S. diplomat in the country has told House investigators.

Gregory N. Hicks, who became the chief of the U.S. mission after Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens was killed in the attack, also told investigators from the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that U.S. special operations forces in Tripoli were told not to fly to Benghazi the following morning.


SEE ALSO: Lindsey Graham: ‘Dam is about to break’ on Benghazi


“I guess they just didn’t have the right authority from the right level,” he said, according to select excerpts of his April interview with committee investigators.

Mr. Hicks, who will appear with two other State Department officials at a highly anticipated hearing Wednesday convened by committee Chairman Darrell E. Issa, California Republican, also questioned the State Department-chartered investigation into the attacks — known as an accountability review board — saying it “let people off the hook.”

The administration hit back Monday, with White House spokesman Jay Carney calling the accountability review board on Benghazi, led by veteran former diplomat Thomas R. Pickering and retired Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, “unimpeachable” and “rigorous and unsparing.”

In a statement Monday, the two men defended their work, saying, “We had unfettered access to everyone and everything including all the documentation we needed. Our marching orders were to get to the bottom of what happened, and that’s what we did.”

The ranking Democrat on Mr. Issa’s committee, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, accused the chairman of “investigation by press release” and of “reckless and false accusations” that he had not even bothered to check with agency staff before releasing.

“They have leaked snippets of interview transcripts to national media outlets in a selective and distorted manner to drum up publicity for their hearing,” Mr. Cummings said in a statement.


SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope


Nonetheless, the charges from Mr. Hicks and others from fellow State Department official Mark I. Thompson have reignited the Benghazi controversy, which subsided during the past few weeks as Congress turned its attention to immigration reform and gun control.

Mr. Hicks‘ comments in particular are likely to revive questions about why the U.S. military was not better prepared to rescue U.S. personnel in Benghazi, and could call into question the content of the “talking points” approved by the administration to describe what happened that September night.

The ambassador and Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith were killed shortly after the attack began, when dozens of heavily armed extremists overran and set ablaze the diplomatic post. Former Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods died almost seven hours later in a mortar barrage that was part of a second wave of the attack, targeting a CIA building called the annex where survivors from the nearby post had taken refuge.

Preventing more attacks

In his interviews with investigators last month, Mr. Hicks said that an overflight by a U.S. F-15 or F-16 might have prevented the second wave of the attack.

“If we had been able to scramble a fighter or aircraft or two over Benghazi as quickly as possible after the attack commenced, I believe there would not have been a mortar attack on the annex in the morning because I believe the Libyans would have split,” Mr. Hicks said.

He said U.S. military officials in Tripoli were told that there were no assets that could respond because there were no airborne tankers to refuel fighters, which would have had to deploy from the U.S. airbase in Aviano, Italy.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

About the Author
Shaun Waterman

Shaun Waterman

Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...

Latest Stories

Latest Blog Entries

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks