- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
FDA warns pregnant women of risk from migraine drug
WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal health regulators are warning doctors and women of child-bearing age that a half-dozen medications used to treat migraine headaches can decrease children’s intelligence if taken while their mothers are pregnant.
The Food and Drug Administration says the drugs, including Depakote and Depacon, never should be taken by pregnant women for the prevention of migraine headaches.
The pills, which contain valproate sodium, already carry a warning about the risk of birth defects. But the FDA said it is adding new warnings to the labeling for the drugs after a study showed they decreased IQ scores in children whose mothers took them while pregnant.
Depakote and similar drugs are also used to treat bipolar disorder and seizures. The FDA said pregnant women should take the drugs for those uses only as a last resort.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.