- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
FIFA proposes tougher sanctions on racism
ZURICH (AP) - FIFA is proposing tougher sanctions against teams whose players, officials or fans are found guilty of racist or discriminatory behavior.
Those punishments may include points deductions, expulsion from competitions or relegation.
The new FIFA Task Force Against Racism and Discrimination met for the first time Monday following several racial abuse cases in recent years.
The group proposes a two-stage warning, ranging from fines and matches behind closed doors for minor offenses to more severe punishments such as points deductions or relegation for repeat offenders or more serious offenses.
FIFA also wants to have an official at stadiums to identify acts of discrimination. It wants countries and clubs to implement sanctions “in a harmonized way.”
The draft resolution will be presented at the FIFA Congress at the end of the month.
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes